by Tom Turner
To us, the highest honor for a company in any industry is to be a place people love to work. That’s why we are extremely honored and incredibly humbled to have earned a spot on Inc. magazine’s list of the top 50 best workplaces in the country – and even more, to be both the only company in Tennessee and the only eDiscovery company named to the list.
As a litigation technology company, we have provided advanced eDiscovery and digital forensics services to corporate legal departments and law firms since 1999. Yet, all of our technology, processes, security protocols, services and expertise are just to support our No. 1 goal: putting people first. DSi is “eDiscovery About People.”
For the last few years, we have been laser-focused on growing a strong company culture that supports our goal of putting people first. It’s not about ping pong tables, open offices or free lunches – it’s about maintaining a priority to engineer the best possible environment for professional and personal development. Our business and our people are better because of our awesome company culture, and our passion is reflected in the work we do and in the ways we delight our clients.
And we’re proud to be recognized for it. Factors cited in DSi’s selection to the Inc. list include:
- Our commitment to a positive workplace environment, such as our warm, innovative and employee-friendly offices in downtown Nashville
- Our recognition of great work on the “Applause Board” located at our headquarters
- Our personal and professional development program, DSicover You, which is focused on self-actualization and employee engagement
- Our volunteer service program, DSicover Your Community, that empowers our team members to give back to the communities where we live
- The way we encourage and constantly solicit anonymous feedback from our employees through TINYpulse, and use that data for continual improvement
- Team-based client work with fellow employees across the country
- The freedom for employees to make decisions benefitting their clients and partners
- The daily engagement of leadership within all levels of the company
DSi also offers a great suite of benefits, from traditional ones, like insurance and a 401(k) plan, to nontraditional things, such as free meals on a regular basis, games and “hang out” areas around the office and fun, organized team activities.
The 2016 Inc. Best Workplaces Awards assessed applicants on a collection of multiple choice, scaled and open-ended items. Core components of the scoring include company practices around management, employee recognition, performance communication, benefits and other elements of the employee experience.
“DSi has been an incredible place to work since I arrived in 2010. It has always been clearly communicated that our people are our biggest asset and that putting those people in a position to succeed will ultimately provide our clients with the best work product. That filters through everything we do each day, whether in the resources we have available or the offices we work in.”
– DSi Culture Warrior Justin Moses
In a notoriously competitive industry, 34 percent of our employees have been with the company more than five years, and 13 percent have been with us more than 10 years.
To qualify for the award, companies had to be U.S.-based, privately held and independent – not subsidiaries or divisions of other companies. The requirements included a minimum 2015 revenue of $2 million and in business at least three years, with full-time employee count ranging between 5 and 500.
“We hear it over and over again from the fast-growing businesses we cover: The biggest challenge that any business owner faces is finding and keeping the best people. That’s why building a workplace culture that allows your staff to grow with your company is absolutely crucial. Recipients of the Inc. Best Workplaces Awards have done so in spades. They should be celebrated and emulated.”
– Inc. President and Editor-In-Chief Eric Schurenberg
We can’t say enough how proud we are to be among such great company.
If you want to learn more about our company culture – what spurred our decision to create such an intense focus on our culture and how it has benefited not only us and our employees, but also our clients – download a free copy of our ebook, “How to Create an AWESOME Company Culture.”